PELUM Tanzania envisions: Organized, vibrant and prosperous smallholder farming communities deriving their livelihoods from sustainable ecological land use.
Participatory Ecological Land Use Management
PELUM Tanzania is a Membership Organization. The current membership of PELUM Tanzania is 33 legally registered NGOs. All Member Organizations pay annual membership fee that is determined by the Annual General Meeting.
Qualifications for PELUM Tanzania Membership
• Be a legally registered organization with at least one year on the ground
• Engage in, support or subscribe to ecological land use management
• Exhibit record and experience in promoting sustainable agriculture
• Actively promote indigenous knowledge and skills in agriculture and natural resources management
• Supporting/working with smallholder farmers as key in sustainable development
• Be committed and willing to share knowledge and skills through networking with other PELUM members
Types of Membership
There are four (4) categories of PELUM Tanzania Membership as follows:
i) Ordinary (voting) Membership: open to national and regional non-governmental organizations which support or engage in field of Ecological Land Use Management (ELUM) and sustainable agriculture.
ii) Associate (non-voting) membership: open to international non-governmental organizations, networks, government organizations and parastatals that support or engage in field of Ecological Land Use Management (ELUM) and sustainable agriculture.
iii) Individual (non-voting) membership: open to all individuals that support or engage in field of Ecological Land Use Management (ELUM) and sustainable agriculture
iv) Sponsor (non-voting) membership: open to any organization/person wishing to sponsor the efforts of PELUM in promoting Ecological Land Use Management (ELUM) and sustainable agriculture.
All members shall be required to pay annual membership fee that is determined by the Annual General Meeting and reviewed as necessary from time to time. All annual membership fee shall be payable to PELUM Tanzania Country Secretariat in advance or in the first quarter of each calendar year. The current PELUM Tanzania annual membership fee is as follows:
Membership type Annual Membership fee (TZS)
Ordinary Membership 250,000.00
Associate membership 250,000.00
Individual membership 250,000.00
Sponsor membership >600,000.00
How to apply for membership
• Eligible and interested applicants shall send a request for membership applications forms from the Country Secretariat or download the forms from PELUM Tanzania website
• On receiving the forms, fill them and send the forms to PELUM Tanzania Country Secretariat by post, email or hand deliver
• The application shall be presented to the Board to admit/approve or reject the application. If approved, the Board shall also decide the type of membership under which the new member will be admitted.
• Whether approved or not, the applicant shall be notified in writings. If not approved, the applicant shall be given reasons for the Board’s decision
• The approved application shall be presented to the Annual General Meeting (AGM) for endorsement. The approved applicants shall be invited to the AGM that that will endorse the application.
• Payment of the annual membership fee shall start after the endorsement by the AGM.
Benefits of membership to PELUM Tanzania
1. Attending PELUM organized events (trainings, workshops, visits, meetings and other activities) at national, sub regional and regional levels
2. Information sharing
3. Networking with other NGOs and initiatives at national and international levels
4. Support to smallholder farmers that Member Organizations work with
5. Learning and sharing best practices and case studies within PELUM network Members’ obligations to PELUM Tanzania
• Adhere to PELUM Tanzania Constitution
• Pay annual membership fees
• Take part in the implementation of PELUM Tanzania activities approved by the AGM
• Marketing PELUM Tanzania Cessation of Membership Membership to PELUM Tanzania shall cease upon the occurrence of any of the following events:
• If a Member voluntarily resigns by a written notice duly served to the Chairperson.
• If a Member is summarily terminated from PELUM Tanzania by the Annual General Meeting for ceasing to share the spirit and word of the Constitution.
• If a Member fails to attend the Annual General Meeting for three consecutive years, with or without notice.
• A Member that ceases to be non-governmental shall forfeit its membership as Full Member.
• If a member fails to pay annual membership fee for three years consecutively with or without notes.
Membership application forms
PELUM Members Profile
PELUM Membership Application Form